Thank you for your interest in the Jewish Organizing Fellowship. In light of COVID-19, the next Fellowship year will begin in January through December 2022.
Applications are Closed!
Want to be added to the interest list for next year? Please reach out fill out this form and we can add your name and connect information when applications open for the 2023-2024 cohort year.
The written application consists of an Application Form, a one-page Resume, Short Answer Questions, the Empower Supplement (for Empower Fellowship applicants only), and two References.
Applications are due:
- Monday, May 24, 2021, for the Early Application, Early Application includes an invitation to a Storytelling for Organizing Interviews training before the interview process begins to prepare you to shine during the selection process.
- Friday, June 11, 2021, for the Regular Application
- Tuesday, June 15th, for Jews of Color Application
1) Using this link, submit your Application Form to provide us with contact information and demographic information, responses to Short Answer Questions, (if applicable) your Empower Supplement, and uploading your Resume. If the SurveyMonkey application is not accessible to you, you may send your completed google doc and resume to email@example.com.
2) Using this link, have your two references submit this Reference Form.
3) Match Week will be Monday, August 30, 2021, through Wednesday, September 1, 2021. Please save these dates if you do not already have an organizing job that you would like to be your Placement.
The process of becoming a JOIN Fellow has 4 stages:
- Written Application (deadlines May 24 and June 11)
- Phone Interview with Fellowship Alum (in the 2-3 weeks following the final application deadline)
- Virtual Interview with Fellowship Alum and JOIN Staff (in the 2-3 weeks following the phone interviews)
- Finding a Placement (rolling until the Fellowship is full. The cohort will be between 12-14 Fellows including 4-6 Empower Fellows)
At each stage, there are four main qualities and five kinds of experience we are looking for – you can see these in more detail here. Candidates will be notified if they are moving forward at each stage. After the Virtual I
nterview, candidates will be notified if they have been accepted as Finalists. Finalists are candidates who have been selected for the Fellowship, on the condition that they have a paid organizing Placement.
Finding a Placement
All Jewish Organizing Fellows work as paid professional organizers in Placement Organizations. Placements are organizations that have applied and been accepted to be a Placement through JOIN’s Placement Application Process. Jewish Organizing Fellowship Finalists can find Placements in the following ways:
- Finalists who are already employed in organizing jobs and intend to stay in their current jobs as their Placement should have their employer apply to be a JOIN Placement Organization. Organizations must be approved by JOIN for Justice as a Placement Organization. Please contact Kat Macias at firstname.lastname@example.org for support in navigating this process.
- Finalists from the early application and regular application round who do not yet have an organizing job may:
- Apply for organizing positions and encourage those organizations to apply to be a Placement Organization
- Attend Match Week held via Zoom on Monday, August 30, 2021, through Wednesday, September 1, 2021, to interview with several organizations that JOIN for Justice has already accepted as Placement Organizations
- There will be an interview preparation opportunity available before this day, date and time TBD.
All Finalists who do not secure a Placement are invited to continue looking for organizing jobs (in the Boston area or remote) until the Fellowship cohort is full. If Finalists find a job that meets the JOIN placement criteria and their employer agrees to their participation in the Fellowship, they are then accepted as a Fellow. As you may imagine, every year there are some people accepted as Finalists who do not find an organizing position and are unable to be a Fellow for the following year. To maximize Finalists’ opportunity to be a Fellow, we encourage Finalists to seek organizing jobs through their own networks, online searches, etc., as well as through JOIN’s matching process.
For questions about the Fellowship or the application process, please contact Kat Macias at email@example.com or 617-350-9994 ex 107.
Empower Fellowship Supported by: