Initial Application Phase
Please be in touch with Jihelah Greenwald at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We want to hear from you!
The process works as follows: First, you should submit the application by January 23, 2019 or February 27, 2019. Shortly after the deadline, we will notify you if you are selected for a phone interview. If invited to move on in the process following your phone interview, candidates from both the early round and regular round will be invited to our group interview event on April 7, 2019. More information is below.
The application consists of an online form, a one-page resume, a personal statement (written, audio, or video), and two references. In order to be considered for the 2019–2020 Fellowship class, all application materials must be received by January 23, 2019, for the early round or February 27, 2019 for the regular round. Please click here for more details about the application (including the personal statement prompt and reference form).
- Applicants who pass the application stage will then participate in an individual phone interview conducted by an alum or staff member. These phone interviews will take place within two weeks of each application deadline. (As with all parts of the application process, reasonable accommodations are available for phone interviews. Accommodations could include, but are not limited to, ASL interpreters, text-to-speech technology, and video calls.)
Group Interview & Matching Events
- Candidates who pass the phone interview will be invited to an in-person, group interview in Boston.
- Candidates will participate in workshops and skills trainings and will be evaluated on a number of different criteria.
- The interview day for both early and regular round applicants will be Sunday, April 7, 2019, in Boston. If you are accepted into this round, you will be notified with more specifics. You will have the opportunity to apply for a travel subsidy if you are coming from out of town.
- After the group interview event, we will notify you of your status. Candidates who are selected after this event become “Finalists.”
- Match Day will be held on Monday, May 13, 2019, in Boston.
- Finalists who are already employed by organizations that have been approved as Placement Organizations are fully accepted into the Fellowship class for the next year and do not need to attend the Matching Event.
- Finalists who are already employed in organizing jobs, but whose organizations have not been approved as Placement Organizations, can encourage their organizations to apply to be a Placement. These finalists should consult with JOIN staff about whether or not they should participate in the Match Day.
- Finalists who do not yet have an organizing job will interview with Placement Organizations at the Match Day in Boston.
- The finalists who get job offers after the event are then accepted into the Fellowship class for the next year.
- Finalists who don’t get job offers through the Matching Event are encouraged to continue looking for organizing jobs in Boston. JOIN staff are available for support with networking, preparing for interviews, etc. If a finalist finds a job that meets the JOIN placement criteria and their placement agrees to their participation in the Fellowship, they are also then accepted into the Fellowship class for the next year.
We are committed to accessibility for all applicants throughout the interview process. For reasonable accommodations, and any other questions about the Fellowship or the application process, please contact Jihelah Greenwald at email@example.com or 617-350-9994 ex 208.
Empower Fellowship Supported by: